Learning English Online: Long term habits to learn English language successfully and continuously
In our concluding article on the Learn English Online series, today we speak about few daily habits that will help you improve your spoken English continuously. Many a times we focus only on the end goal and plan on a few steps as part of the process to get there!
But this works for planning a destination holiday or a trip someplace, learning a skill is different. When you invest your time, money and effort on learning a skill, when do you think is the right time to stop learning? Is it all about getting that certification on the CV really? If it works for you, you may stop just there. However, training and mastering a skill is a continuous process.
When you are learning English (or any other language) whether by enrolling to an online English speaking course or simply through group or private English lessons with an online English tutor, the course in question will deliver all what the curriculum mandates.
After the online English classes end, it is then when your real journey towards spoken English fluency actually begins. Contrary to what most of our students assume, an online English class is only enabling you with the means to foolproof your language basics, providing with the means and resources to embark on your English communication journey.
The buck does not stop here! The skill to speak and write fluent English for personal or professional is your own responsibility. Even if you join the best online English speaking course, the onus is on you to make the most of the learnings.
And thus, in todays concluding article for the learn English online series, we shall cover the long term habits and behaviors that will help you learn English language not only successfully but also continuously!
- Step 1- Where should you start to learn English speaking?
- Step 2- How to improve spoken English?
- Step 3- How to improve English reading, writing & listening skills?
- Step 4- Long term habits to learn English language successfully and continuously
What are the long-term habits to learn English language successfully and continuously?
Lifelong learning or now phrased as continuous learning is the "ongoing, voluntary, and self-motivated pursuit of knowledge for either personal or professional reasons. Nowadays, formal training in the form of degree/diploma or certification courses is only a beginning. Knowledge accumulates at such a fast rate that one must continue to learn to be effective.
As we said earlier, this applies not only to spoken English training but any skill that you wish to learn. For example, 25 years ago when computers were still new, no one believed that “Digital marketing” would be a leading profession in the 21st century. However, today every professional as well as businesses need to have a thriving online or digital presence for their survival. If a traditional marketeer out there would have not evolved with the changing times and ignored the need of digital education, we can only imagine the business and career repercussions!
Staying abreast with industry and technology trends is essential for all working professionals. It is crucial for your career trajectory. The same applies to learning English. Once you have learnt the basic English grammar, sentence structure and English vocabulary basics, the next step is to cultivate certain habits that will ensure you are always updated on the most current words/slangs/phrases etc in effective English communication.
A habit is a routine of behavior that is repeated regularly and tends to occur subconsciously. Habit formation is the process by which a behavior, through regular repetition, becomes automatic or habitual. New behaviors can become automatic through this process of habit formation.
If you utilize the power of repetition to achieve a goal, good habits help immensely. Consistent efforts in the form of small incremental changes daily can shape you for success. “Atomic Habits- Tiny changes, Remarkable results” by James Clear is the most comprehensive and practical guide on how to create good habits, break bad ones, and get 1 percent better every day.
The secret to successful outcomes is thus good habits, actions that you perform repetitively to master a skill. At Speechify we believe that spoken English fluency is only achieved by consistent spoken English practice! Apply this to conversational style English learning or practicing written English, the key is in consistent efforts! Let us now discuss few tips to inculcate and practice habits for learning effective English communication skills.
4 Habits for learning English continuously
- 1) Practice consistently- As we explained, consistent efforts promise successful outcomes. All it takes is just keeping at it even when the going gets tough. There will be numerous hiccups on the road, some small and some pretty huge. You must however always find a way around and practice regularly. Do not allow small impediments affect your long-term goal!
- 2) Inculcate a daily learning routine- The most underrated yet extremely effective for maximizing learning outcomes is the power of a learning routine. Learning routines involves- a specific hour or minutes in a day, a learning corner, few personal rituals like a personal journal or a cup of coffee or slow music in the background etc. These small rituals and habits set the tone for creating the right ambience towards learning. Or simply a set of actions that make learning more fun and engaging.
- 3) Apply new learnings- Practical application is the key to learning. Students benefit the most through doing than just theory. In English language education too, you must use the new words or phrases you learn in your daily communication. Try new slangs and accents, you may mistake. But simply do not stop.
- 4) Be humble, Be Hungry! - The most important quality in a successful student is humility. Do not be overconfident and get carried away thinking that you now know it all! A true student understands that although one may know a great deal, one does not know everything. Remain hungry for knowledge. Be open and willing to learn from others! Remember that learning simply never stops.
We hope you find these articles helpful and pray that you benefit wholesomely with the gift of consistency!
“It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives. It's what we do consistently.”
― Anthony Robbins